Steven S. Liu, M.D.
Starting Nov 6, 2017
Dr. Liu is a an ACGME accredited fellowship trained and board certified pain medicine physician and is joining us from the Yale School of Medicine where he was assistant professor in the Department of Anesthesiology and associate director of pain medicine at the Yale Spine Center.
At Yale, Dr. Liu’s practice focused predominantly in the treatment of pain originating from diseases and conditions of the spine and he was instrumental in developing the pain medicine program at the Yale Spine Center. Dr. Liu has extensive training and experience in non-surgical interventional treatments for pain related to spinal conditions such as degenerative disc disease, spinal stenosis, radiculopathy, facet arthropathy, and sacroiliac joint dysfunction. His goal for every patient with spine related pain is to provide as much relief and restore as much function as possible while utilizing the most up to date, low risk, and minimally invasive non-surgical techniques.
Education and Training:
- Undergraduate: B.S., Penn State University Schreyer Honors College
- Medical School: M.D., University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine
- Residency: Anesthesiology, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
- Fellowship: Perioperative Management, Stanford University Hospital
- Fellowship: Pain Medicine, Tri-Institute Program: Weill Cornell New York Presbyterian Hospital, Memorial Sloan Kettering Caner Center, Hospital for Special Surgery
Dr. Liu recently relocated to the Bay Area with his wife and 2 kids. His wife is a neuro-radiologist and dinner discussions sometimes involve interesting pathologies of the spine; though it is often interrupted by stories from their children of their daily activities. Dr. Liu and his family fell in love with the Bay Area many years ago and they are very excited to once again be able to enjoy everything northern California has to offer. During his limited spare time, Dr. Liu enjoys watching football and soccer and is an avid golfer.